Diagram 32 Covered Goods Van
These covered vans were 15ft 6in long over headstocks
and 7ft 8in wide with a 9ft wheelbase and a capacity to carry 7tons. The wheels,
axleguards, buffers, brakes and couplings were all identical to those described
for contemporary open wagons such as Diagram 1 and 2. The 6ft sliding roof door
and external framing together with the heads of the bolts and screws, which held
the frame and planking together, gave it that characteristic appearance which any
successful model must strive to capture. The side door, on one side only, was
5ft 11inch wide and the door panels were carried on rollers inside the body panels.
The two door panels were locked closed with a vertical bar and hasp, which rotated
over a staple and was secured with a peg on a chain rather than a lock. The roof
door slid open on transverse runners to reveal a 6ft wide opening over almost half
the width of the van body. This arrangement enabled overhead cranes to deposit
heavy loads to the centre of the van floor from where they could more easily be
manhandled into position for the journey. The 'off-side' was completely blank but
the wagon turntables installed at all goods depots enabled the wagon to be turned
and the door-side to be presented to the loading bay. The side planking was 1inch
thick, that in the doors was ¾ inch thick and the end planking was 1¾ inch thick.
Vans of this type were built from at least the 1860's until 1894 by which time there were about 5500 in stock. By 1902 the oldest survivors were those built in 1868 and as wear and tear took their toll the quantity of these vans were progressively reduced as withdrawn vehicles were replaced with new vehicles of the D33 type (see below). By 1902 there were just 3400 left and by 1910 there were less than 2000 in stock. By the grouping in 1923 they were virtually extinct.
The livery until 1908 was as shown in the photograph below, but after that date the letters LNWR were added to the side panels when each vehicle was overhauled and repainted. The introduction of these changes would have been slow. Register numbers, or running numbers in LMS parlance, for most L&NWR wagons are only known by virtue of a small number of photographs and a handful of written records such as minute book references to individual vehicles lost or destroyed. In the 1863 renumbering scheme the range from 12350 to 14514 were originally allocated to covered vans. By 1894 the total stock of all wagons was about 60,000 s o no D32 van would have been numbered above that figure. From photographs the following numbers are on record:-
13100 [5.12.2], 22161 [5.13.1], 53165 [5.8.0], the figures in brackets are the tare weights. Additionally, most of the numbers given for the D33 vans would previously have been carried by D32 vans.
This photograph shows the blank or ‘offside’ of a D32 van. The door side is illustrated in the GA drawing below. Note the single wooden brake block on the far side of the van.
Shown above is the door side elevation of a D32 covered van. It is taken from the original Earlestown Drawing No.7 [HMRS 1160] dated 5.5.1890. Note that by this date the wooden brake block has been replaced by a cast iron one, although the operating mechanism remains unchanged.