Gif of LNWR Emblem
London & North Western Railway Society
Cattle Wagons of the LNWR

Diagram 23 Special Cattle Wagon

Twenty five of these special cattle wagons were built in 1888 for the transport of prize beasts to and from Agricultural Shows. They had much in common with the standard large cattle wagon - Diagram 22, but the sides were completely enclosed. Unlike contemporary Horse Boxes they were devoid of internal padding and fittings because it was feared that such fittings would be damaged by the regular use of lime wash disinfectant.
Full constructional details are visible in the official general arrangement drawing reproduced below. A good official photograph, which although not taken until 1909 shows a vehicle in largely the same condition. Note in particular that the only brake gear is a handbrake, which operates on one wheel only. In general the running gear, couplings and buffers are similar to contemporary passenger stock rather than goods stock to enable the vehicles to be attached to passenger trains, so minimising the journey time for prize animals. Note in particular the Mansell wheels, which were normally used on passenger carriages rather than on goods wagons. Although not fitted with full automatic brakes they were equipped with through-pipes for both the normal vacuum brakes and the Westinghouse pattern. This latter presumably to allow them to continue to Scotland on the Caledonian system north of Carlisle. The lined out 'Lake' livery is a version of the non-passenger carriage livery, but the large LNWR letters, as shown in the photograph, which is dated Nov. 1909, are typical of the goods livery. Prior to Feb. 1908 the only identification marks would have been the two white diamonds. The running numbers are recorded in the 1903 Wagon Diagram Book as 49604 to 49628 inclusive. Most of the 25 vehicles had a long and useful life. But one 49626, possibly following an accident, was renewed in 1912 as a Diagram 26 vehicle. Four more were scrapped in the period 1921-23 and also were renewed as Diagram 26 wagons. The remaining 21 vehicles passed to the LMS in 1923, but as they were already 35 years old they are unlikely to have lasted much longer.

Shows sample photo of class, file name Diag23.jpg

Shows sample photo of class, file name Diag23 dwg.jpg