Diagram 93 4-wheel 15ton Goods Brake Van, Hand & Vacuum Brake, double ended
Like D18, D93 was also a double ended design, only one of which was built. The specialised purpose
for which it was built is unknown at present since no Minute Book reference to its authorisation has ever been found. The body
was 20ft long by 7ft 8½in wide on a 12ft wheelbase. It is believed that the design enabled the van to be used without the need
to turn it every alternate journey. The date of construction is recorded in the Earlestown Accounts book as during the half-year
to November 1905 which is consistent with the surviving general arrangement drawing Earlestown no. 87, preserved as HMRS 1524,
which is dated 29.08.1905, when the cost was said to be £142. 12s. 4d. The drawing shows that it was fitted with a vertical
vacuum cylinder which operated clasp brakes on all four wheels. The handbrake could be operated by a handwheel on each
The photograph, although undated, shows it in the original (pre-1908) livery with two diamonds on each side and the station/route to which it was assigned painted on the bottom plank. This van, no. 104, is believed to have lasted in service clear through the LMS period until it was withdrawn by the nationalised British Railways in 1950.
NRM ETN Collection no. 11
This undated official photograph of no. 104 shows it in pre-1908 livery. The oil-filled axle boxes are the flat fronted first LNW version. Note the screw couplings and side chains visible on each end.
HMRS Drawing no. 1524
This side elevation drawing is taken from Earlestown Drawing no. 87. Note the detail of the vacuum brake gear and the Vacuum gauge and valve on the centre line at head height. The hand brake could be operated from either verandah by means of dual handwheels.