LNWR 4-COMPARTMENT CORRIDOR BRAKE THIRDS to D.312 and D.313
Philip A. Millard
The LNWR carriage Diagram Books were prepared for the use of the
operating department and took no account of features which are often
significant to model makers. This means that carriages of more than
one external style or panelling arrangement might well be found on
the same diagram, which in turn can lead to misunderstandings about
the number of vehicles built (and hence likely to be encountered) of
a particular type.
These notes explain the situation regarding the Edwardian era design
of four-compartment corridor brake thirds to D.313 (cove roof profile)
and D.312 (high roof profile).
Sixteen corridor brake-second carriages were constructed in 1905/6 as
part of an order for 400 vehicles on capital account authorised by the
Board in April 1905. Initially all of them were marshalled into Euston –
Liverpool and Euston – Manchester sets. The first eleven carriages were
built to SX.83 and B.173 account, and had the then standard cove roof
profile. ‘SX’ means ‘special extra’ (i.e. the batch prototype) and ‘B’
numbers are capital account. ‘A’ was renewal account (replacements of
existing life-expired vehicles).
These D.313 carriages had double luggage doors and single guard’s doors,
with 3 panels adjacent to the corridor windows and 4 panels between the
van doors. The corridor side doors were
positioned opposite the compartments, and not opposite
the partitions as shown in the 1915 Diagram Book. They were mounted on 8ft
wheelbase bogies at 41ft centres. An example may be seen on page 84 of
D. Jenkinson’s ‘LNWR Carriages’.
LNWR numbers (second class series) were 296–306, altered to 6660–6670
in the brake-second series after 1910, demoted to third class in 1912,
then LMS 6676–86 altered to 6168–80 in the 1933 scheme.
The next batch was B.181 account turned out in December 1906. This
consisted of two vehicles, No.294 and No.295, also for Euston – Liverpool
sets. However, they were not the same as each other because the design
was changed while they were under construction. No.294 was turned out
on 14th December with the cove roof profile, and was probably similar
to B.173 account. No.295 emerged on 20th December and was the very
first carriage to have the high elliptical roof profile. In addition,
it was fitted with double guard’s doors as well as double luggage doors
(in accordance with Drawing No.8020 dated 19th December 1906, after No.294
had been completed), which meant that the panelling in the van section was
altered from 3+4 to 4+3. A photo of the compartment side appeared in
Premier News No.84 and is reproduced again here. It will be seen that
there were no top lights in the van section. Corridor side doors were
positioned opposite the compartments. A similar change to double Guard’s
doors was made on the contemporary corridor brake firsts to D.126.