|London and North Western Railway Society
|What does that word mean
You are here: Home > Glossary > Glossary — Go
- Goods Manager’s Office
- Gooch Valve Gear
- A valve gear similar to Stephenson valve-gear, but with the expansion link fixed so that it may pivot only.
- Gooch, Sir Daniel (1816—1889)
- First CME and later chairman of the GWR.
- Goods Agent
- Goods Depot
- Goods Traffic Committee
- A joint committee of the London and North Western, Caledonian, Glasgow and South Western and Midland Railways which managed the main goods lines avoiding Carlisle Citadel passenger station.
- Goods Van
- As can be seen in many early photographs goods which needed to be protected from the weather were at first carried in open wagons and covered by tarpaulin sheets. Vans with high sides and roofs became more common in the twentieth century, particularly after the grouping.