- End Kitchen Carriage
- A dining car with a kitchen section at one end of the carriage - in LNWR carraiges commonly, though not necessarily, of one class or, before the abandonment of second class, second/third only. cf Centre kitchen.
- End Stanchions
- Vertical timbers bolted through the face of a wagon buffer beam and extending to the top of its end planks to keep all planks straight and in place.
- End-loading dock
- A short siding abutting a raised platform (either at a passenger station or in a goods yard) where vehicles such as CCTs were loaded through their vertically hinged double end doors.
- End-door wagon
- A wagon intended for coal or mineral traffic constructed with a horizontally hinged door at one end, enabling it to be discharged by tipping (usually at ports or certain industrial premises).
- Engine House
- Not, as might be thought, an engine shed but a building for stationary engines which worked trains by cables where the gradients were considered too severe for adhesion traction. Engine houses were found both at Edge Hill, to work trains to and from Crown Street and its replacement, Lime Street and at Camden, to work Euston trains.
The original reason for the use of stationary engines between Edge Hill and Crown Street (and later Lime Street) was that the Act of Parliament which authorised the building of the railway into Liverpool forbade the use of locomotives in the centre of the city (an early attempt at smoke abatement). This may have encouraged the use of gradients then considered too severe for adhesion traction.
- Engine Shed
- Anything from a small building, capable of stabling one locomotive overnight, to a major depot consisting of several buildings (such as Crewe North) for preparing, servicing, and in some cases repairing locomotives. The LNWR shed buildings designed by F.W.Webb were of distinctive design; the roof ridges, set across the tracks, sloped steeply on one side and more gently on the other, with lights (windows) only in the steep faces. Such “north-light” sheds (whatever direction they faced) were found throughout the system. Older shed buildings designed by John Ramsbottom had hipped roofs with prominent louvred ventilators on top.
On the LNWR “engine sheds" in the sense of depots as opposed to buildings were more usually called “steam sheds”.
- Engineers’ Saloon
- A railway carriage reserved for the use of a senior (usually District-) Engineer and used in the course of his work. Each District Engineer was allocated his own saloon and they were self-contained with a lavatory, conference area and balcony, from which he could inspect structures as they passed.
- Engineers’ Train
- A train used to convey materials or goods for one of the railway’s own Engineering Departments, rather than for the public (passenger or goods). Examples include ballast, rail and other track parts, also signalling equipment of materials for use by the railway's own Civil Engineers.
- Erecting (Work-)Shop
- A section of the works in which all the components of a locomotivewere brought together for erection or assembly into the finished engine. Subsidiary workshops (e.g. the brass foundry, the wheel shop) dealt with the manufacture/repair of the various components.
- Euston, London
- The London terminus, headquarters and principal station of the London & Birmingham Railway and, from 1846, of the LNWR. According to the Act of Parliament, the end of the line was to be at “Euston Grove ... near Euston Square” and the station was sometimes called ‘Euston Square’ in the early period. Opened on 20th July 1837, it was the first main-line station in London.
- Exchange Sidings
- Where the lines of two companies shared a station, their goods traffic was often kept separate, each company having its own goods yard. If wagons and vans arriving under the auspices of one company needed to go forward by the other, the transfer was made in exchange sidings.
- Exchange Station, Liverpool
- The Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway terminus in Liverpool, used by LNWR day express trains between Liverpool and Scotland (though the night expresses ran to and from Lime Street). The station has been demolished and Lime Street is now the only Liverpool terminus for main line services; local services connect with the underground lines of the Mersey Railway.
- Exchange Station, Manchester
- LNWR trains between Yorkshire and the Liverpool and Manchester line first used the Manchester and Leeds (later the Lancashire and Yorkshire) Railway station, Victoria. Despite several enlargements, the station had become woefully inadequate by 1880 and the LNWR built its own station, Exchange, which opened on 30th June 1884. The station was on the west bank of the Irwell and so, despite its name, it was actually in Salford. Platform 11 of Victoria station and platform 3 of Exchange were in fact a single platform, the longest in the United Kingdom.
- Expansion Link
- A link on the Stephenson, Allan, or Gooch valve gear, joining the two eccentric rods together, and in which the die block slides.
- Experiment Locomotive Class (1)
- A series of 30 three cylinder compounds built in the 1880’s, the first of Webb’s compounds apart from a few experimental engines. The name might be thought to have a scientific connection, as with “Problem” and “Theorem”. This class, however, was Webb’s large-scale experiment with a class of express compound locomotives, and the first engine was named accordingly.
- Experiment 4-6-0 Locomotive Class (2)
- Built from 1905, these were a class of 105 two cylinder simple 4-6-0’s built by George Whale. Unlike the Webb “Experiments” there was nothing experimental about the class, which was a 4-6-0 development of the Whale “Precursors”. The first engine simply inherited the name of the first Webb “Experiment” after that engine was scrapped.
- Express Passenger
- A train conveying passengers over long distances with few stops, usually at speed. Strangely, only two districts — the Lancaster and Carlisle and the Central Wales — used the term “Express Passenger” as a train description in the working timetables. Apart from expresses with some special description (“Mail” for the Irish Mail, “Boat Express” for other Holyhead boat trains, and “American Special”, for the boat trains to Liverpool Riverside) all others were described simply as “Passenger”.
However, the term “Express Passenger” was used in relation to some trains which conveyed no passengers — the 03.00 newspaper train Euston-Birmingham/ Liverpool/Carlisle, the 21.20 corridor parcels train from Euston and the corresponding up train, 22.50 from Liverpool, were all “signalled as express passenger trains”.
- Extra Large Bloomer 2-2-2 Locomotive Class
- In 1861 McConnell produced three enlarged ‘Bloomers’ at Wolverton Works . They had 7ft 6in driving wheels and boilers with various McConnell patent features. See also Bloomer, Large Bloomer, and Small Bloomer