Royal Trains - 60ft - Queen Victoria’s Royal Saloon.
These were built as twin 6-wheeled saloons at Wolverton designed by Richard Bore in 1869. They were the first British railway coaches to be connected by a flexible gangway, although the Queen still insisted the train be stopped while she walked from one into the other. In 1893 the LNW persuaded the Queen they be rebuilt on a single modern underframe with 6-wheel bogies. The renewed vehicle was fitted with electric lighting as well as gas but the Queen would not use it. Her distrust of electricity, though, did not prevent her ringing the immense electric bell mounted in the ladies —in-waiting compartment to summon her staff! Golden lion’s heads decorate the top of each corner and the ends of the buffer beams; there is intricate decoration along the eaves and white tyres.